© Bravajulia | Dreamstime.com
Finding Balance – Twenty-five ways to care for your self as you serve others
It’s the season for dreaming, making plans and looking forward with eager anticipation. I hope you will remember to make time for yourself as you are filling in your calendar. Here’s a list I compiled for myself, and then I thought you might like to look at it over my shoulder. As a Household Manager, Butler, Caregiver or other private service provider, I invite you to join me and incorporate any of these things on the list that feel right for you too. Let’s make it a fabulous 2012!
1. Take care of your self first. You are most effective when you are happy, healthy and rested. In other words, put your own oxygen mask on first.
2. Give your full attention to each person you are talking to.
3. Take time to plan. Make monthly, weekly and daily “to do” lists.
4. Monitor your thoughts. “Thoughts held in Mind produce after their kind.”
5. Monitor your words. If you keep saying you are tired, you will be tired. Speak health, wealth and good fortune over yourself and others.
6. Stop worrying about things you have no control over.
7. Take action to change the things you want to change. If you are afraid- do it afraid. (A handy bit of advice I first heard from Joyce Myer)
8. Forgive yourself and others. Do this for yourself; it is empowering. Just let “it” go.
9. Embrace your spiritual side and bring it into the everyday.
10. Ask for help when you need it.
11. Do not be controlled by all the technology. Turn the phone off when you have the chance. Log off the computer for the weekend when you are able.
12. It’s ok to say “no” to a request. Say it with a smile. “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
13. Listen to your intuition more than you listen to the opinions of others.
14. Use your phone safely in the car.
15. Read more, watch TV less.
16. Use drive time for inspirational or educational CDs.
17. The best thing you can do for the world is to be the best version of yourself that you can be.
18. Let go of things that are not useful or beautiful. Reduce clutter and simplify.
19. Be grateful. Acknowledge the miracles of the everyday.
20. Connect with nature at every opportunity.
21. Take time to enjoy quiet moments.
22. Refrain from offering unsolicited opinions.
23. Do not judge others. Be kind to everyone.
24. Know that you are wise and use your wisdom.
25. Remind the people you love often of just how important they are to you.